I wonder if I put a few words here?

Game Based Learning

There are many advantages of game based learning:

• Increases A Child’s Memory Capacity. … 
  • Computer & Simulation Fluency. … 
  • Helps With Fast Strategic Thinking & Problem-Solving. … 
  • Develops Hand-Eye Coordination. … 
  • Beneficial Specifically For Children With Attention Disorders. … 
  • Skill-Building (e.g. map reading)

Here’s a video that talks about gamification in education.

One example of game based learning I have experienced was when the teacher was teaching a reading class. Reading classes are usually boring because the students would be required to read through chunk texts and somtimes some students would get distracted. During that class, instead of asking the students to read the texts in a given time, the teacher asked one student to read the text out loud to the class while the rest listen. The teacher to as the student to pause any time and pick a random student to start where the last student had paused. If the next student wasn’t paying attention and didn’t know where to start, he/she would have to start from the beginning.

I found this simple game very helpful in getting all the students to focus on the reading because it is likely for anyone to get picked and it is a little embarrassing to admit one is not paying attention. It also brings a little excitement to the class making a normal reading class a bit challenging and fun.

However, such learning could sometimes lead to the students’ focusing to much on the game itself rather than the contents of the learning materials. I noticed in this experience mentioned above that some students paid attention to the reading and were able to pick up where the last student had read, but when asked what the content their read was about, they said that they didn’t really know or understand. So from this experience I think it is also important that games in game based learning design could involve the understanding of the learning contents.

Reference:

Staff, T. T., & About The Author TeachThought Staff TeachThought is an organization dedicated to innovation in education through the growth of outstanding teachers. (2022, January 9). 6 basic benefits of game-based learning. TeachThought. Retrieved May 27, 2022, from https://www.teachthought.com/technology/6-basic-benefits-of-game-based-learning/

1. nx

Hello, kaytcheung
    The benefits of game based learning you have written out very clearly and the video you posted is very useful. I couldn’t agree with you more. Game based learning is really a more efficient and fun way to learn.
    Your example is also great. Based on your own experience, you wrote about the benefits of game based learning and your concerns. I really want to know what do you think, is the game based learning approach is more advantageous? Based on your concerns, do you think there is a better way to improve game based learning and make it better? Looking forward to hear from you!
    nx

2. jasmine

Hi, Kaytcheung,
    You have a good understanding and use of Game-Based Learning. The reader’s attention is captured through clear categories and examples. By designing the learning content in a game format, you can see the understanding, memorization, and application of knowledge in an entire game space. It promotes a more efficient learning transformation for the learners and achieves a mutually beneficial win-win situation.
    Your examples are very close to reality and make me see many interesting phenomena around me. How do you think gamified learning has helped you? Do you want it to be extended?